What's On in the CageOur events schedule is constantly updated so keep checking back to see what's happening at The Birdcage. From live music and bands to film festivals and screenings, vintage movie nights, art exhibitions, open mic events, quizzes and more, there's something for everyone at The Birdcage.
- Fri10Jan20148.00pmTAMU MASSIF Plus SupportF.O.C
- Sat11Jan20148pmHowling Phoenix plus Special Guests Formed in 2013, Howling Phoenix are causing a scene with their raucous brand of blues rock. Appropriately (the band agree) described as an 'accident waiting to happen' H.P combines the right amount of noise, energy, grit and wild unpredictability. With big aspirations, come along for the ride - it's gonna be fun; it's gonna be loud! http://howlingphoenix.blogspot.co.uk/ https://howlingphoenix.bandcamp.com/ https://soundcloud.com/howlingphoenix F.O.C
- Fri17Jan20148pmBrothers plus support We is a band. Check out our music here :- https://soundcloud.com/brothers-band-cardiff Brothers have recorded and bottled our jaded rock and roll dreams" - Bethan Elfyn, BBC Radio Wales "Sounds like a wicked song" - Jen Long, Radio 1 "It was rockin'" - Ally McCrae, Radio 1 "Gun Runner rollicks along with the kind of Bolan strut Kevin Parker would sell his mother for" - NME "Brothers are a band we should all be getting excited about" - AMP Magazine F.O.C
- Sat18Jan20147.00pmGuilty Party Genres: Theatre £7 Guilty Party use the power of the ensemble to create a cinematic theatre of the imagination. They tell resonant and poetic stories assisted by live music, soundscapes and physical theatre. Twitter https://twitter.com/Guilty_Party_ https://www.facebook.com/guiltypartytheatre£7 on Door
- Thu23Jan20148.00pmBirdcage SECRET SCREENING Club Details to follow.
- Fri24Jan20148pmWinter Milan plus support Come check out Winter Milan with a clean-cut and expansive post-punk sound, these boys are on the rise and not ones to miss. https://soundcloud.com/wintermilanF.O.C
- Sat25Jan20147.00pmAs its January and the month of sales. We welcome back our discounted vintage night. Step Out In Style. Huge savings on all our vintage stock, from the basement and beyond. F.O.C
- Sat01Feb20148.00pmStantz // £3 // support tbc Introducing Stantz, a combination of sounds, ideas and realities, who deliver a new take on music, for the future as well as the present. The two members share musical backgrounds, but have taken divergent paths to reach their current place. Producer David MacKenzie and syncopationist DK Wan create a world of their own, as natural and organic as it is surprising, as Stantz take their musical blend to the melting pot. Stantz’s music is both direct, and hard to quantify, experimenting using a wide range of sounds with both technology and acoustic instruments, combining equal part sampling and live playing, the band focus very much on finding their own sound. Indeed, their music reflects their message, which reflects their music. In addition, the visual nature of their music lends itself to being incorporated into other art forms. With Stantz, expect the unexpected, but expect to be taken to new places, with new sounds you half-know, and half-have dreamed about. Facebook: facebook.com/StantzMusic Twitter: twitter.com/StantzMusic Soundcloud: soundcloud.com/Stantz £3 on door
- Wed05Feb20148.00pmHammer & Tongue poetry Slam The Poetry Night returns for the New year... The guest artist will be Keith Jarett with support from Lucy English!!!!! Also if you want a shot at performing at the oldest music venue in London, then come armed with your words and join in the poetry slam. £5 On door.
- Thu06Feb20148pmBudada // £3 // support tbc https://www.facebook.com/budada.band£3 on door
- Fri07Feb20148.00pmBridges plus Drift Disorder BRIDGES are a four piece Independent/Alternative band who formed in June 2012. Rife with excellently executed linear grooves, bellowing vocal harmonies and wonderful bass counter-melodies, BRIDGES have pinned their sound and style into an explosion that makes people move. In the short time of their existence BRIDGES have toured independently, released two EP's and played national festivals such as Beach Break Live and Dot to Dot. As well as this the band have supported established acts such as This Town Needs Guns, To Kill A King, BLEECH, M O N E Y and Brother and Bones to name but a few. BRIDGES are currently working to the release of their next single 'Amor', coming January 27th released through Cherry Red Records. "Bright and tight, they make an excellent noise…" BBC Introducing "Best band 2013" Rock the House "Indie music at it’s best! Explosive, solid and lots of energy" The Flux£3
- Sat08Feb20148.00pmTom McConnell //Locks Mustachioed Irish Troubadour with more soul than Ray Charles' left shoe. http://tmcconnellmusic.com/ https://tommcconnell.bandcamp.com/ Description "We are drawn to all things bizarre, ambient and left-field, and Tom McConnell seems to meet these criteria. His is a name you'll want to watch." - BBC Introducing "I'm in the zone...this artist has great vibes." Mark Punter, BBC Essex "Somewhere between singer-songwriter and purveyor of electronic sounds..he left us wanting more of his invention and quality musicianship." The Public Review @ Royal Albert Hall "Infectious and catchy songwriting, masterful guitar playing and a judicious touch of loop pedal shenanigans." - Acoustic Edinburgh "An interlude of real poise and beauty." - InSuffolk "A burgeoning songwriting talent." - Secret CDs LOCKS Two jaunty guitars mixed with a lyrical focus on dark creatures dwelling in the shadows, melancholy stories of missing girls and serial killers on the loose... Locks is a musical oddity founded by Locks Geary-Griffin who is now joined by Mr Stephen Payne from Biff Bang Pow! Currently residing in Bristol (with a bit of a vagabond background) they are set to release album no.2 and by doing so hope to bring a little unease to the current music scene... 'Locks are a folky duo from Bristol, consisting of Locks Geary-Griffin and Stephen Payne, who like to write songs about dark times and even darker emotions' - James Swatton, Live Music Scene '[Pieces of Soul] is one of the most sensational recordings I have heard for a long time' -Live Music Scene. 'the waif-like [Locks], who looked like a character from Skins and sang her Belle and Sebastian-influenced songs in a beautiful, ululating warble' -David Sinclair, The Sunday Times All videos can be found on youtube.com under 'locksofficial'. £3 on door
- Fri14Feb20148.00pmLily & Madeleine// SOLD OUT http://lilandmad.com/ Little Dusty// https://www.facebook.com/littledustybandSOLD OUT.
- Sat15Feb20148.00pmTail Feather plus support https://www.facebook.com/tailfeatheruk "Thumping, catchy, and sun-glazed - Tail Feather bring nostalgia and soul together for a 70s indebted experience" The 405 GOODBYE CHANEL.. https://soundcloud.com/goodbyechanel £3
- Thu20Feb20147.00pmBRUNO MAJOR//plus support This is not to be missed. Fresh from supporting London Grammar we welcome Bruno Major BRUNO MAJOR brunomajor.com With his unique voice, classic songwriting ability and evident musicality, North London based Bruno Major is a rare artist, a raw talent that captivates with direct emotion. THURSDAY 20 FEBRUARY On Sale FRIDAY 24 JANUARY THE BIRDCAGE 28 Clare St, Bristol, BS1 1YE Doors 7:00pm Ages: 14+ (under 16s to be accompanied by an adult) Advance tickets available from: alt-tickets.co.uk gigantic.com Bristol Ticket Shop 0844 871 8819£6.00 http://www.bristolticketshop.co.uk/
- Sat22Feb2014£3KALU KALAE//TIERS//£3 facebook.com/kalukalae facebook.com/tiersband£3
- Fri28Feb20148.00pmOld Colours //Nicholson Heal// £3 https://www.facebook.com/OldColours Support TBC £3
- Wed05Mar20148.00pmMonthly night returns...this month featuring the talents of... BEN MELLOR & TOBY THOMPSON£5
- Thu06Mar20148.00pmDan Bettridge//Plus support //£6.00 Since his debut release - 'Hunter's Heart' - in January 2013, Dan Bettridge has had his tracks aired on radio stations, such as; BBC Radio 1, BBC Radio 2, Nation Radio and BBC Radio Wales. He has performed a live session on The Dermot O'Leary Show on BBC Radio 2, played sold out headline shows and festivals such as; Green Man and Swn Festival. Dan Bettridge is now back on the road for the release of his sophomore EP - 'Darker Days', due for release on February 24th 2014. “I saw him live at Green Man Festival and went and bought his EP straight after!” - Huw Stephens, BBC Radio 1 “Beautiful, troubadour voice”, “[Dan Bettridge is] A credit to the youth of today.” - Dermot O’Leary, BBC Radio 2 “This is not some flash in the pan, his song writing is already at a level well beyond his years”, “He has all the tools here to follow in the footsteps of the likes of Ben Howard” - David Ball, Stereoboard.com Official website: danbettridge.com Twitter: https://twitter.com/DanBettridge Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/danbettridgemusic TICKETS: http://www.wegottickets.com/event/257462TICKETS: http://www.wegottickets.com/event/257462
- Fri07Mar20148.00pmOn March 3rd a new "single version" of Shipwrecks will be available for digital download. To celebrate, Aaron Douglas will be performing a set at The Birdcage with his trio and maybe a few special guests! Support will come from the glorious form that is Chris Woods Groove. Boomshanka! :-) www.youtube.com/user/AaronDouglasmusic www.twitter.com/Aaronstunes£3 entry on the door
- Sat08Mar20147.30pmDuring the recent flooding, THE BAKERS (some friends who live on a canal boat) with their 5 month year old son, returned home to find it at the bottom of the river. They lost everything, so why not help them out and enjoy some awesome music at the same time. Hot Pursuit https://www.facebook.com/HotPursuitParty The Boulevards https://www.facebook.com/theboulevardsmusic Donations welcome.
- Thu13Mar20147.00pmWe welcome the 1940's retro cabaret act The Goodnight Sweethearts. Packed with toe-tapping vintage tunes. These two lovely ladies will be putting on a great show. https://www.facebook.com/thegoodnightsweethearts With support from Claire Delany. £3 On door
- Fri14Mar20148.00pmBlacklit Canopy https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNCStRkHPCpi_UvZzg-YQxg/videos Twitter : https://twitter.com/blacklitcanopy Rachel Bedford Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/rachel-bedford-2 FB page : https://www.facebook.com/RachelBedford27price tba
- Sat15Mar20148.00pmWolfhound An all female trio who play their own blend of indie-folk overlaid with soulful harmonies Website: http://wolfhoundlive.com/ Mailing List: http://wolfhoundlive.com/signup.htm Blog: http://blog.wolfhoundlive.com/ Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wolfhoundlive YouTube: http://youtube.com/user/wolfhoundlive With support from Bethia Mitchell Jack Cookson http://jackcooksonmusic.bandcamp.com/£3
- Thu20Mar20148.00pmGuilty Party use the power of the ensemble to create a cinematic theatre of the imagination. They tell resonant and poetic stories assisted by live music, soundscapes and physical theatre. https://twitter.com/Guilty_Party_ https://www.facebook.com/guiltypartytheatre£4
- Sat22Mar20148.00pmIndia Electric Co. 8pm £5 "So fresh…one of the more interesting collaborations of the year." - BBC 6 Music (Tom Robinson) http://www.indiaelectricco.com http://www.twitter.com/indiaelectricco Stolen Pet http://stolenpet.co.uk/ £5 on door
Excited to announce Denai Moore.
Lauryn Hill, Radiohead, Bon Iver, John Mayer, Corinne Bailey Rae, Feist, Band Of Horses, Amy Winehouse, Adele, Damien Rice.
The Lake EP is out now:
iTunes - http://smarturl.it/TheLakeEP
Vinyl & free download - www.denaimoore.com
£4 on door
Advance tickets available from:
Bristol Ticket Shop
0844 871 8819
- Fri28Mar20148.00pmSamantha Lindo/plus support Official Website: www.samanthalindo.com Wick Court Studios: www.wickcourt.com Description Sam Lindo writes and sings poetic,heartfelt songs with a voice & presence that can silence a room and touch your heart. Her sound is soulful, reminiscent of motown, influenced by gospal, & delivered intimately and acoustically.£3 on door
- Sat29Mar20148.00pmWe welcome the fantastic 80s infused MOON CLUB for their EP Launch. Moon Club https://www.facebook.com/moonclubband Aztecs https://www.facebook.com/aztecsofficial WHY.WE.LOVE https://www.facebook.com/whyweloveofficial£3
- Sun30Mar20144pmJust us for this one off sunday acoustic gig with the beautiful sounds of Freds house. www.fredshousemusic.co.uk F.O.C
- Mon31Mar20147.00pmREMEMBER ME TO THE BEES. BOOK LAUNCH. Music from Rabbit City The twenty stories in Judy Darley’s debut collection cover the moments that make us the people we are, where actions are taken and sights seen that will change the protagonists’ lives forever – with sometimes startling consequences. From the small boy grappling with fears both real and imaginary to the married woman being ardently pursued by a man who seems able to read her deepest thoughts, we catch our breath as Judy’s characters make emotional as well as physical journeys, twisting and turning to the very end. Judy Darley was born in 1977 and grew up in Thornbury, near Bristol. Her short stories, flash fiction and poems have been published by literary magazines, websites and anthologies including The Germ, Fiction 365, Riptide journal, Litro Magazine, and The View From Here. She also writes extensively as a freelance journalist for magazines. Remember Me To The Bees is Judy’s debut short story collection. She is working on a novel. Judy blogs at www.skylightrain.com and tweets at www. twitter.com/EssentialWriter F.O.C
- Wed02Apr201420.00Poetry Slam https://www.facebook.com/events/557508101023261/?ref_newsfeed_story_type=regularAnother Hammer and some swift tonguing coming your way. Watch out Bristol folks we're in for some fun! Our support artist is TBC but usual set up, amazing slam from YOU, amazing headline from Mr. Osborne, and amazing support from TBC... Watch this space... John Osborne is a writer, journalist and poet based in Norwich. He is the author of three non-fiction books. His most recent, Don't Need The Sunshine was published by AA Publishing in 2013. He has written for Radio 4, had poetry published in The Spectator and The Guardian and his first solo show John Peel's Shed was a complete sell out at the 2011 Edinburgh Festival, enjoying a sixty date tour of the UK the following year. He regularly performs at festivals including Latitude, Glastonbury, Bestival and Port Eliot, has had his poems played on Radio 1, Radio 3 and 6Music and his first full poetry collection Most people aren't that happy, anyway was published earlier this year. Arrive early to sign up for the slam. £5 on the door.
- Fri04Apr20147.30pmRHODES www.facebook.com/rhodesmusicuk Rhodes released his debut EP ‘Raise Your Love’ on 28th October 2013, via Hometown Records. The EP was recorded with James Kenosha and Charlie Fink (Noah and the Whale) The debut EP follows on from Rhodes’ demo track ‘Always’ - self recorded in his Hitchen bedroom - which was playlisted on Amazing Radio for a month earlier this summer and has also picked up a handful of plays from Radio 1. FRIDAY 4 APRIL THE BIRDCAGE 28 Clare St, Bristol, BS1 1YE Doors 7:30pm Ages 14+ Advance tickets available from: www.alt-tickets.co.uk www.gigantic.com Bristol Ticket Shop 0844 871 8819
- Sat05Apr20148.00pmLionface is the pseudonym for Bristol’s alt-pop rising star some may recognise as the charismatic bass-player and backing vocalist for the now defunct London punks The King Blues. A storming 2013 saw her release two EPs, five music videos and take her energetic live show across the country. "..brilliantly twisted electronic pop.." - London on the Inside Facebook: facebook.com/LionfaceMusic Twitter: twitter.com/LionfaceMusic Youtube: youtube.com/LionfaceMusic Soundcloud: soundcloud.com/Lionface-1 Support from OLAS https://www.facebook.com/olasmusicF.O.C
- Mon07Apr201419.30twitter.com/SmallStoryBris Small Stories invites you to a grand story-telling event. Lose yourself in an evening of short stories, poetry and art, at the Birdcage on the 7th April. https://www.facebook.com/events/652364698144523/ To get involved in this or future Small Stories events just email Sian & Nat at: email@example.com or @SmallStoryBrisF.O.C
- Fri11Apr20148.00pmWOODEN ARMS: http://woodenarms.co.uk/ https://www.facebook.com/Woodenarmsband https://twitter.com/woodenarmsband https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SeDenJrMC4 IVAN MOULT: http://ivanmoult.com/ https://www.facebook.com/waytooblue https://twitter.com/ivanmoultmusic£3
- Sat12Apr20148.00pm The DustBowl Children/Arthur Cunnington. Stomping Folk/Blues/Roots/Rock Band. Falmouth, Cornwall. Twitter - @DustbowlTweet https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Dustbowl-Children/823333907681585?ref=nf£3
Bush and Fey
- Thu24Apr20148.00pm“A Dark Imagined Bristol” 'horror story readings’ The Bristol Fiction Writers’ Group will thrill, amuse, and make you shudder with a collection of short stories showing Bristol’s darker side. Website: http://snubtry.weebly.com/the-bristol-fiction-writers-group.html F.O.C
If I Had Words Presents .. Forty Thieves///Haze Ra//Huw Richards//Dom Padfield//Harry Thurston//Why.We.Love7.00pm https://www.facebook.com/events/1433644290208859/£3
- Thu01May20147.00pmWe are Sadie Flemming Tour Tom Scriven Power Trio Lindsay Bullamore https://www.facebook.com/events/680603358644680/F.O.C
- Fri02May20147.00pmVictoria Klewin & The TrueTones /The Husky Tones/Plain Portray https://www.facebook.com/events/627369814009657/ Doors: 19:30 First Act on at 20:00 Tickets: £3 ADV and £4 OTD
- Sat03May20147.00pmBITE THE BANK HOLIDAY... Its the Bank holiday time people and were inviting you to take a chunk out of the weekend with an enjoy amazing music from... BITE THE BUFFALO//EVIL TWIN AND TIERS. https://www.facebook.com/BiteTheBuffalo https://www.facebook.com/eviltwinbristol https://www.facebook.com/Tiersband £3
- Mon05May20147.30pmSmall Stories invites you to a grand story-telling event. Pull up a pew, grab a drink and settle in for a good yarn and some live art. https://www.facebook.com/SmallStoriesBristolBirdcageF.O.C
- Sat10May20147.00pmJILK https://www.facebook.com/jilkmusic http://jilk.net/ http://www.bit-phalanx.com http://www.soundcloud.com/jilk http://www.twitter.com/jilkmusic http://www.discogs.com/artist/Jilk KAYLA PAINTER www.kaylapainter.com www.soundcloud.com/misskaylapainter twitter @KaylaPainter TTOE https://www.facebook.com/ttoemusic http://t-toe.net£3
- Fri16May20147.00pmDUMB https://www.facebook.com/WeRDumb £3
- Sat17May20148.00pmTAMU https://www.facebook.com/TAMU.MASSIF.OFFICIAL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0d3TzCpscs AARON DOUGLAS https://www.facebook.com/AaronDouglasMusic www.youtube.com/user/AaronDouglasmusic www.twitter.com/Aaronstunes £3
- Fri23May2014£3 On Door.
- Sat24May2014TICKETS: http://www.alt-tickets.co.uk/alttickets/home_dot_to_dot_2014.html
- Mon26May20148.00pmwww.facebook.com/hazehazemusic http://soundcloud.com/haze27 http://hazehazemusic.bandcamp.com/ http://twitter.com/hazehazemusic little Dusty https://www.facebook.com/littledustyband£3 on the door
- Fri30May20148.00pmJustin Utley: http://www.justinutley.com/ Born and raised in Salt Lake City, Utah, Justin Utley began his career as a Mormon-Contemporary singer/songwriter. After publicly breaking ties with the Mormon Church and sending his own "self-excommunition letter", Justin became a noted activist and advocate for civil rights and LGBT equality in the United States, and an outspoken personality against the Mormon church's use of conversion therapy, a method Utley endured for two years after serving a two-year full-time mission for the church. In June 2010, Utley released Stand for Something a single written to inspire and motivate to take action towards securing LGBT equality in America, ending youth homelessness, and increasing community awareness. Justin's newest full-length album, Nothing This Real, was released November 11, 2011 with a sold out Media Showcase sponsored by Big Fuel and streamed live online with over 12,000 viewers. Support from// The Tixx: https://soundcloud.com/the-tixx Light Falls Forward: http://lightfallsforward.bandcamp.com/Advance Tickets: http://www.bristolticketshop.co.uk/?%2F140530BRIJUST1
- Sat31May20147.00pmGOAN DOGS https://www.facebook.com/GOANDOGSBAND www.goandogs.com The Rope And The Colt https://www.facebook.com/TheRopeAndTheColt https://twitter.com/TheRope_TheColt£3
- Mon02Jun20147.00pmSmall Stories invites you to a grand story-telling event. Lose yourself in an evening of short stories, poetry and art, at the Birdcage BristolF.O.C
- Wed04Jun20148.00pmThe first Wednesday of every month Hammer and Tongue present a guest and supporting artist, ranging from the wonderful and obscure to the intelligent and thought-provoking, AND an open slam! Audiences can get involved or sit back and enjoy the night.£5
- Thu05Jun20147.00pm-10.00pmBristol Pride Comedy Auditions The Birdcage on Thursday 5 June, 7-10pm Open Auditions. Audition to perform at the Bristol Pride Comedy Night at the Arnolfini! Open auditions are being held to showcase home grown LGBT (and friends) talent. REGISTER by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and then start working on your material! ffiwww.pridebristol.co.ukOpen Auditions.
- Fri06Jun20147.00pmHeg & The Wolf Chorus - alternative folk band from Bristol. www.hegandthewolfchorus.com https://www.facebook.com/HegandTheWolfChorus Jess McAllister https://www.facebook.com/jessmcallistermusic£3
- Sat07Jun20147.00pmThe Gravity Drive//Elly McCabe//Gerard Starkie and Little Blue Wolf. MIND CHARITY FUNDRAISER... Details tbc TBC
- Fri13Jun20148.00pmWe are excited to welcome Indie Electronica outfit AOU, plus support. https://www.facebook.com/AOUBAND http://www.aouband.co.uk/ £3
- Sat14Jun20148.00pmAndy Watts http://www.andywattsmusic.co.uk/ Stevie Jo Dooley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xuolxE0RI&feature=share&list=UU58mNVM3EzCU00nNwzqw6pA Danielle Celeste https://www.facebook.com/daniellecelestemusic?fref=ts£3
- Fri20Jun20148.00pmDAGGERS & WAVES https://www.facebook.com/DaggersAndWaves Daggers and Waves are upside down, kamakazi rainbows, rhythm noise lovin, jazz smoke, music warriors. BEAT HARLOWS https://www.facebook.com/BeatHarlows A bittersweet indie-ish 5 piece with an authentic unpredictability. Convicts https://www.facebook.com/The-Convicts £3 On Door
- Sat21Jun20147.00pmAccess to Music Bristol: Azrah//Kronus//Charlie Grier/Prozac/Wesley £3
- Wed25Jun20148.00pmJOSH DOYLE https://www.facebook.com/joshdoylemusic SHE MAKES WAR https://www.facebook.com/SheMakesWar THE INTERMISSION PROJECT https://www.facebook.com/IntermissionProject£8 IN ADV. £10 ON DOOR. TICKETS http://smarturl.it/jdtickets
- Fri27Jun20148.00pmBeautiful Boy https://soundcloud.com/beautiful-boy/home-demo £3 On Door.